History

1811

1811

The story of Belfair begins in 1811, when the husband and wife duo of William Telfair and Betsey Bellinger established a country estate and working plantation devoted to agriculture. They took the first part of "Bellinger" and the last of "Telfair" to name their new majestic country estate. Over the years the estate has operated as a cattle ranch and even a turkey farm for periods of time and in 1994, the estate began the transformation into a world-class community.

1927

1927

Belfair was purchased by a new owner, William Mosely Swain. He planted the oaks that now constitute the magnificent Avenue of the Oaks

1953

1953

Belfair is operated as a cattle ranch when Walter Lee Mingledorff, Sr. purchased Belfair Plantation for $50,000 and used the land to raise his herd of Polled Hereford cattle.

1963

1963

The cattle operation is sold and Belfair began operation as a turkey farm. The Mingledorf family sold the cattle at auction in the 1960’s and hoped the turkey business would prove to be a revenue neutral operation.

1994

1994

Belfair Plantation, L.L.C., the developer of Belfair, purchased the property in September 1994 to create a world class private golfing community that consists of 730 home sites with 40 non-property memberships and a maximum membership of 770

1996

1996

The West Course, a parklands design, exemplifies subtle beauty with its gnarled oaks, lush native grass and sparkling lagoons.

This 18-hole, par-72 course with 7,111 total yards from the championship tees consists of challenging par threes to long par fives.

1999

1999

The 18-hole East Course, reminiscent of the links courses of Scotland, showcases deep-water views, open windswept fairway and fresh water lakes and lagoons.

This par-71 course measures 6,900 yards from the championship tees and is very walkable. The routing plan and configuration form a close connection between holes.

2000

2000

A transition Board is appointed and the Belfair Property Owners’ Association is established as a not-for-profit homeowners’ association. Phase II of the Clubhouse opens in October.